020 31 37 64 62
Online Accounting. Real Support.

Self Assessment - Paying HMRC

Once your Self Assessment (Tax Return) is complete for each tax year (ending 5th April) you may be required to make a personal tax payment.

The main payment for any additional personal tax incurred is due by Jan 31st each year.  You may also have a 'payment on account' to make in by the end of July.

Reference Number

The payment reference will be your personal 10 digit UTR (unique tax reference) PLUS the letter 'K' at the end (for example 1234567890K).  You can find your UTR on any letter from HMRC regarding your self assessment and also on the self assessment reports that Tempo will have emailed you.

Account Details

Your bill will tell you which account to pay in to. If you don’t have a bill, or you’re not sure, use Cumbernauld.

Account details to use:

Sort code     Account number Account name
08 32 10 12001039 HMRC Cumbernauld  (use these if unsure)
08 32 10 12001020 HMRC Shipley

Don't forget this is a personal tax not a company tax so avoid using the business account for payment.

HMRC's Payment Help

HMRC's help with making these payments can be found online here.