020 31 37 64 62
Online Accounting. Real Support.

Requesting a Personal UTR Number

HMRC will issue a Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number to anyone who needs to complete a self assessment tax return.  If you already have a UTR it will be shown on any letter from HMRC relating to your personal self assessment / tax return.

This personal UTR is different to your company UTR.

Generally you will not yet have a UTR if you've never completed a self assessment or specifically requested one from HMRC.

How to request a UTR

If you do not have a UTR you need to request one from HMRC using the link below.

IMPORTANT - Please note when completing this form:

Do not tick the "self employed" box if you are the director of a limited company.  In this case you should tick the "I became a director on..." box and add the company's incorporation date.

Please let Tempo know as soon as you receive your UTR in the post.

You can complete this online form to request a UTR


Use this paper version.


Lost your UTR Number? 

If HMRC come back and say that you already have a UTR but you are insure what is it then please follow this link:

Find a lost UTR number